children's writer

Previously...

Apr 27, 2016

Hello guys! I missed last month's post, but I'm participating this month in another edition of "Previously," a blog hop put on by Miss Cole, where writers share their month in writing and reading so far.


Previously in Writing

Earlier this month, I managed to finish my dark contemporary YA at 40k, which is entirely too short. Now I have no idea what to do with this novel. It's up on Wattpad, so I might just keep it as my Wattpad book. On top of that, I submitted last year's NaNo novel to Swoon Reads and I participated in #DVpit on Twitter. Right now, I'm at the stage where I'm not sure what to write next. I'm thinking I want to write something that's lighter in tone this time around. 

I've been thinking about my voice as a writer and the kinds of stories I want to tell. I would love if my stories fit nicely together, but so far it's been a mixed bag. I'm inspired by so many things.

Previously in Reading

This month I finished The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson. I enjoyed both immensely, but if I'm being honest I adored one just a little bit more than the other. If you haven't read Walk on Earth a Stranger, I recommend you do. It's wonderful.

I'm currently in the middle of two books, Wink, Poppy, Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke and Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit. 


Next Time in Goals

I don't really have any writing goals right now. I would like to write a short story, but it usually takes a while after finishing a project for my well to refill. I have tried putting pen to paper, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. I do still have my Beauty and the Beast story to finish, but the words just aren't flowing. I guess I'll focus my attention elsewhere for now, like on finishing those two books I mentioned.

A Word of Advice

This has become my motto:


"Courage, dear heart!"
7 comments on "Previously..."
  1. I can't stick to one genre either. I prefer a little bit of everything. Life is more exciting that way.

    I keep meaning to pick up The Girl on the Train. I shall have to as soon as my TBR pile is back down to zero :)

    Thanks for sharing. Have a great May :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Cole! I agree. Life is more exciting that way, and The Girl on the Train was great.

      Delete
  2. Girl on the Train sounds so exciting! Also I totally hear you about needing a little recharge break after a draft or major revision. That's what my May is going to be all about as well.

    And I can't settle on a genre/age category either! Too many different stories inside! First I put on my bio that I wrote YA Fantasy & Dystopian, then had to add sci-fi, then Contemp and now MG in those genres as well! Pretty soon I'm going to run out of room and just going to have to say I'm a "writer" and not specify anything X..D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Carissa! Girl on the Train was an exciting read.

      I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stick to a genre. There are so many stories to tell.

      Delete
  3. There's some definite plus points to city life. I have to drive three hours away to get half-decent sushi, grumble grumble, and further still if I want proper Mexican food.

    Congratulations on finishing your dark contemp YA! I can't settle on a category either, it's haaarrrd.

    I didn't know Rae Carson had new work out! Definitely adding that to the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your motto, and wish that more people referred to me as dear heart. Also I'm desperate to read Wink, Poppy, Midnight, and think April is a wonderful writer. How are you enjoying it so far?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally, The Girl On The Train Audio-book is available on AudioBooksNow.

    ReplyDelete